Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DT Donate and Authorize.net

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #58

• conticreative
  • conticreative's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am the OP and I have posted other threads in this regard. While it is true that initially I had the wrong Authorize.net data, the folks at DT helped me out in that regard and now the donation screen seems to work. Part of the problem is that in the administration screen, the name associated with the data is different from the name Authorize.net gives on their site (If I remember, it has been a long time). However, one other behavior that produces the blank screen is aslo when a credit card number is not entered correctly. I even tried entering a blank value and I did get a JS alert, but then I entered "1234" and I received no notice anything was wrong with my input and it was accepted, but it produced a blank screen afterwards and no emails. In fact, looking at the code I could not find anything that checks credit card lenght, for instance. When instead I enter a correct number, exp. and CVV, I receive the "Thank you" screen and all the proper emails. Yet, so far I have not been able to see my transactions at the Authorize.net site, valid or not. I tried both the "test" mode and the "live" mode. It is obvious that the script needs some sort of grep validation to check that at least the number of digits is correct. Going a step further, the script should make the "Choose credit card" radio buttons unnecessary as credit cards (as far as I know) have a set of numbers that identify what kind they are. The proper script should know what credit card has been entered and act consequently. I realize this is a new component and I am not blaming the developers, I am just trying to make it work properly but so far I have had little luck. I also have to point out that the form layout is pretty atrocious, but it's not very hard to make it prettier and more accessible by using the proper tags instead of the tables.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #59

• robertb66
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I checked the authorize.net settings and they are correct. I also have virtuemart (shopping cart) installed on the same site, and it is behaving the same way with authorize.net.

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #60

• conticreative
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
that is interesting. In an email correspondence I had with the DT donate folks I seem to rememnber they said that their code was taken directly from Authorize.net. Maybe I misunderstood, and when I looked at the Auth.net own donation page (written in ASP) I could not find any similarities (but I did see that all the fields are generated from the behaviour layer: not a good coding practice. Honestly, I am not that impressed with Auth.net. Thir site is confusing and their coding standards seem a bit out of date, so maybe it's not DT donate's fault at all. Still, the validation of the form is not very complete, but Auth.net are the folks that process the credit card and they should return some sort of alert if the card is not good. If VM acts the same way, I am starting to think they are not a company I want to use for my donations.

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #61

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
robert, if you are getting the same results on Virtuemart, my main thought is that you are not using the right settings, even though you believe you are. Otherwise, maybe it is that code you were given for GoDaddy hosted sites. conticreative - we all know your opinions and ideas on this component as you have posted the same things over and over throughout this forum. We hear you already! Yes, the form is ugly... yes, there are definite improvements that can be made. We know all of this. The component is new and still in development. We are hoping within 2 weeks to release the new version of DT Donate that will include these main updates: - improved transaction result reporting for when the transaction fails, so details are provided to show why. - PayPal inclusion so you can pay with either auth.net or PayPal. - Recurring donation functionality as it currently does not work - Inclusion of a CSS file to enable conticreative and everyone else the ability to easily modify the appearance of the form. - rewrite of the code to clean it up. Multiple people have worked on this code which has made it messy. We know. Hang tight people. We're on it.

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #62

• conticreative
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hi Robert, I feel a bit of frustration on your response. I am an Open Source developer and my only reason for pointing out the faults I found in the program is to improve it (and eventually use it). If I were a bit frustrated as well it has to do with the fact that I sold the program (the idea of) to my client and I spent a great deal of time (on his dime) to integrate it with his website with poor results. The first thing his wife did was to try Amex and all she got back was an empty screen. I did not look that good. Naturally, part of the problem is that he gave me the wrongcodes to begin with (something I milked pretty good on both of our behalfs to justify other issues we have been having). However, I recall offering to give you my CSS code and my modifications to the form, free and clear, so that you could use it as a starting point for future development. I think I did a fair job there with an eye on accessibility. You are still welcome to look at it and use all or parts of it if you wish. The other issue I brought up was the javascript validation containing simple spelling errors, the wrong alert for the "amount" field and the fact that one can enter any old number in the CC field and it is accepted. However, after reading of the troubles the other poster has had with Virtuemart, I must consider that Authorize.net may be at fault here. For instance, if I put the wrong CC number in the form, it's up to them to tell me that the number is not valid. Certainly the form could grep the numbers beforehand, but even good numbers could have an expired card behind them and Authorize.net should send back some sort of alert in that regard. Actually, what worries me the most is the fact that with a perfectly good cc number and a successfull transaction I am still unable to see the donation on Authorize.net website (finally I was able to get the user/pass from the client). In conclusion, I was not trying to give you guysa bad name or be a pest. I wanted to bring up the issues I found more fruustrating and be part of the process to improve the software. If I came across to strongly, you also have to understand the frustration of having a client chomping at the bit and breathing down my neck. (and he still is). Now, with a new version coming I basically wasted a weekend of css formatting, but again, if you'd like to look at my css (as messy as it is by now) maybe you'll find it useful.

DT Donate and Authorize.net 16 years 9 months ago #63

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
conticreative, we understand perfectly clients breathing down your neck. We develop websites everyday and are always working with deadlines. Thanks for your eagerness to help. We're on it and do appreciate the input.

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds