• Page:

TOPIC: A "debug" Mode Of Sorts

A "debug" Mode Of Sorts 9 years 9 months ago #23539

• shootfast
  • shootfast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The Situation: Working with entry forms that have a large number of fields (100+) and have multiple conditional fields (20+) and many of these conditional fields have the same "Label"

The Problem: Having conditional fields that are hard to see where they are being called from on the front end when testing a form

The Solution: Adding a "debug" mode to the form to allow the front end to show the dtregister "Field Name" so it is easy to see what "Field" it is when testing and trouble shooting the form

Some thoughts:
  • It is going to make the front layout of the form very messy when turned on. This should not be too much of a problem as it is only used for trouble shooting and testing if/when needed and at times that public access is not being granted to the form anyway
  • An example would be that when the "debug" mode is turned on the First Name field on the form would show up as First Name: firstname and then the text box where the registrant puts in their first name would appear
  • This would allow us to see that the text for this field is "First Name" and the name of the field being called is "firstname"

My Rambling Explanation (don't read if you don't care about this "Wish"):
I have a few forms that are used once a year that have multiple conditional fields that have the same "Label" text. So I'll have a field that has 3 options, each one of these options calls a conditional field but each one of these conditional fields has the same "Label" so if I'm trying to trouble shoot it, it is really tricky to see which one is being called.

Why do all three options call a Field with the same "Label"? Good question. It's because there is another field below each one of these that is conditional on the above field.

Eg Are you a student Yes/No
  • If Yes, what is your student number and what are you signing up for (and this dictates a price)
  • If No (does not ask for student number) what are you signing up for (and this dictates a different price
  • What are you signing up for (in the above two points) also calls an age drop down, the different events allow different ages so they also call a conditional field

All of this gets messy (thanks event organizer who has too many conditional fields :sick: ) and can make it difficult to trouble shoot when you are testing the forms. You can see conditional fields being called but it can be difficult to see which one it is because many of them need the same "Label".

So again, allowing a "debug" mode would show on the front end which "Field" was being called and allow for quick trouble shooting/testing of forms.

Thanks for listening :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds