Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: DT Acajoom Subscriber cannot be used legally in Europe

DT Acajoom Subscriber cannot be used legally in Europe 14 years 1 week ago #7332

• elucidos
  • elucidos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

We have paid for and installed this plugin, however I was surprised to discover, after installing it, that there is no way for the user to opt out of being added to the newsletter at the time of registration. Am I missing something?

In Europe, it is a legal requirement to allow people to opt out of any mailings at the time of their subscription to a service, we cannot simply add them automatically.

On a side point, this module doesn't work too well for us in a multi-language environment. We want to be able to subscribe them to different lists according to what language they are viewing the site with.

Jay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT Acajoom Subscriber cannot be used legally in Europe 13 years 11 months ago #7542

• fotomarathon
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Dear Jay
I run a bilingual website, with event registration, and I use DT Acajoom Subscriber. This is how we have handled the data protection requirements and the multilingual challenge, hope this cna help you further

Re. Data Protection-Opt Out

When someone registers for our event, they have to click on the terms and conditions. Here we tell them that we need to subscribe them to our newsletter, so we keep them informed about the event. We also tell them that we donĀ“t share their information with anyone.

Second, in the email text, we include a tag (provided by Acajoom) called Your Subscriptions and another one where the person can unsubscribe with just one click.

The "your subscriptions" tag is also a link that takes them to the Subscribers Panel, where they can see which newsletters they are subscribed to, and they can also unsubscribe.

Both these things are in line with EU Data Protection guidelines.

Re. Multilingual Newsletters

Acajoom is not designed to work in multilingual environments (see their website http://www.joobi.com ) -as I discovered, too late for my liking. they actually recommend setting up different lists for each language, so people sign up to newsletters in each language.

For us this was too complex, so since we only have two languages (English and German) we write ONE newsletter, with both languages one after the other.

You can have a look at our newsletters (using the free version of Acajoom and their standard HTML Template) here:

http://www.fotomarathon.de/acajoom/mailing-view/5.html

I hope this helps you further.
Andrea

DT Acajoom Subscriber cannot be used legally in Europe 13 years 11 months ago #7563

• elucidos
  • elucidos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Andrea,

Your approach does seem to meet the EU legal requirements. Good idea, thanks for sharing it.

Although it is not vital in the context of the website I am working on, I do think that this module needs improving, as I expect many people to be annoyed with not having the opportunity to opt-out at the time of registration.

Cheers,
Jay

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds