• Page:

TOPIC: DT Register categories

DT Register categories 12 years 7 months ago #15057

• OkiePCer
  • OkiePCer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dthadmin wrote: ...You can setup multiple pricing options for any event using selection fields. You'd setup a dropdown (or radio buttons) where the user could choose their package type or whatever option you need to give. Assign the necessary fee/discount to each option... and also assign your limit (as needed) for each one. This way only X number of people can choose each option.

I don't think this is going to work for us. A registrant may choose more than one package and more than one quantity of any one package. I've been looking at the fields configuration. And, other than building a form myself using code, I can't figure out how this could work. Is there another way?

Also, if I do have to build my own form from scratch using articles, can the total field I come up with be connected for PayPal integration, etc.?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DT Register categories 12 years 7 months ago #15060

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
You can't build your own form and then tie it to DT Register. However, it's not necessary. DT Register has much more capabilities than any form you'd try and build :)

It can certainly work. Use conditional fields. Have a quantity selection field for each package. Assign them as conditional fields to the appropriate value of the package selection field (package selection should be a checkbox field so the user can pick more than one). So the registrant chooses a package. Then a field dynamically shows giving quantity options for that package. Nice :)

As you make a quantity field for each package, you can set the pricing based on the quantity. Now, this setup would not give a control on how many times someone can register for each package as the quantity field would mess that up. So if you need a limit check on it, you'll have to get a little more complex on the setup... but it's still doable.

Have your package checkbox field still, but take your Table sales (for example) that can only sell 10 of. For any package that has no limit, do what I explained above. For a package like this one that DOES have a limit, don't give a quantity field, but instead another set of checkboxes giving the 10 available packages to sell. Checkboxes so the user can get more than one if needed. For the tables, you'd have checkboxes for Table 1, Table 2, Table 3, etc. Set a limit of "1" for each value so each checkbox can only be selected once. You have 10 checkboxes. Now you still get your quantity limit check.

There's normally multiple ways you can setup any particular scenario with our powerful fields structure. Just think it through and determine which route makes the most sense for the user experience and set it up. If you need more specific help on this or get stuck, submit a ticket so we can see what you have setup and we'll give any nudges along the way as needed :)

DT Register categories 12 years 7 months ago #15076

• OkiePCer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thank you for your helpfulness. I hope whatever problems I mention will result in changes to the product that will make it even better. I'm impressed with the extension, even though not 100% satisfied at this point.

DTRegister has so many great features. It's frustrating to find I'm the only with my scenario--at least who is using Joomla and/or DTRegister.

I tried your suggestions, but still have some problems with the results:

1) The cost at the top - I got rid of that by entering $0 for cost of individual tickets, but then the "Registration Fee" still shows up on the form info confirmation page as "Registration Fee: [Qty] x $0.00". Since I can't use this part of the module, it would be nice to just be able to hide it.
2) The aesthetics - The first option after a checkbox label is too far to the right and not in line with the other options - Looks tacky, not professional - If need be, the first option should go on its own line. Otherwise it should line up with the other options.
3) The aesthetics - The field labels wrap - Looks tacky, not professional, and makes the form harder to read - The fields should be set further to the right when there is plenty of room instead of the label wrapping. If there is not enough room beside the label, then it should go on the next line indented.
4) Readability - The font is too small. Where can I change that?
5) Readability - Some differentiation needs to exists between sections of the registration form by bolding some text, adding lines, adding spaces, etc. I can't find where I can do that. I know I can add textual fields to add extra text. Can I add lines as images? Can I bold or change the font on textual fields?
6) Attendance - How can I track attendance without using the regular part of the registration module? If I can't track attendance, why use event registration software? Why not just use a shopping cart?
7) Limits - Using the methods you suggest, it sounds like I won't be able to set limits. This is not a big thing as we are used to watching this manually. But I had hoped that an Event Registration extension would help us manage the event more efficiently than a simple Shopping Cart.
8) Attendees list - Checking the Group Details option I am given a place to list attendees which is not optional. Unfortunately, most of our registrants don't know their attendees at the time of registration. We will have to use a textarea field for them to come in and add them later or just continue to get this information by email. I had hoped DTRegister would allow us to keep better track of attendees and more easily and accurately product attendance lists. Have I missed something? Is there an option where I can turn off making the list of members of the group required?

BTW, I would have submitted a ticket, but you require information I don't want to give at this time--such as my site password. I'll have to think about that and understand why you need it.

DT Register categories 12 years 7 months ago #15080

• OkiePCer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
<quote.As you make a quantity field for each package, you can set the pricing based on the quantity. </quote>

I don't understand how that is done. There is no place on the Field configuration page to do that as far as I can see. I tried adding a formula into the Fees field, but I probably don't know the proper syntax. Can you please help with that?

FYI, I'm used to using formulas in Excel and Access.

DT Register categories 12 years 7 months ago #15081

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
This is a combo of over-thinking certain items (mostly because you're not used to using a system like Joomla and are used having to do all the work yourself) and just not familiar with DT Register yet.

1) If you just want the total price to show on the confirmation page, you CAN hide that in configuration... hide the fee breakdown. To hide just that portion of the breakdown would take a code modification.

2) As I haven't seen your site (no ticket, no links), I can only guess. What I'd put my money on is that you have put <br> tags in to try and push your checkbox values onto new lines and display vertically. This is incorrect setup and I already mentioned how to do this previously here or in one of your posts. The video tutorial on selection fields clearly explains this too. Do NOT put a <br> tag in. Not necessary. Simply set the field's parameter for "New Lines" to YES.

3) Things like that are not fixed as your opinion is your opinion. Some people want the labels to wrap. Anyway, you can modify this via CSS.
/components/com_dtregister/assets/css/main.css
Look for these stylings to establish more fixed sizes for your labels, fields and tooltip area:

dt.dtlabel
dt.dtfield
dt.dttip

4) Almost everything you see within DT Register pulls styling from your site template in almost all cases. If you need to modify something further, modify the above stated CSS file.

5) Use textual fields as stated in one of your other posts. HTML fields support HTML styling... as stated in the tooltip seen in the textual field setup and the video tutorial.

6) This question didn't make any sense. Of course you can track attendance. In the backend records, you can click the attendance icon to change it... select multiple records using the box to the left then click Attended in the toolbar to change multiple records at once... or open a record and change it there.

7) I already described how you can still have limits checked automatically. I suggested making a checkbox conditional field for selecting from available tables, packages, etc. If you have 10 available, give 10 checkboxes, labeled however you want. Set a limit of 1 on each checkbox then you can be sure too many are not registered for.

8) Group registration has two options... Simple and Detailed... both explained in tooltips in the event setup and the video tutorials. Detailed requires that you enter data for each member. Simple does not. You could use Simple as it sounds like that's what you want, then make another field for someone to enter names into or whatever other info you need. You would assign your other fields to be used in group registration and be sure they are assigned as either "Members & Billing" or "Billing Only".

Regarding a ticket, it's just the fastest and easiest way to get help as we can SEE your site... SEE the way you have things setup and answer you more specifically. Most "issues" people have are setup related so we can either look and tell them how to correct their setup... or we can go around in circles guessing what the problem is :) Just faster to look and answer. Up to you though. Most people setup a temporary login for us to use, then once they've received their help, they disable or delete that login. No worries.

Regarding configuring field fees, there most certainly is a place to do it. Again, you are expecting to have to do all the work yourself. DT Register has already done it. You don't setup any calculations. We already did. You just plug in the numbers. Watch this video... if any video... watch this one:
http://www.youtube.com/dthdevelopment#p/u/3/cuB1qwx4pJo

With what I suggested... it was give options (example) for 10 tables. I'll do 5 here at $25 each to show you how. Setup:

Type: Checkbox
Values: Table 1|Table 2|Table 3|Table 4|Table 5
Selection Limits: 1|1|1|1|1 (this is so only one person can choose each table)
Fee Field: Check YES
Fee Type: Amount
Fee Values: 25|25|25|25|25

With this setup, checkboxes were used so the user can pick more than one. For each box they check, $25 is added to the total price of the registration.

There are other ways a setup like yours could be done. It's NOT that unique. Thousands of people use DT Register for a HUGE variety of applications and this type has been done over and over in various ways. Some people will do it different than above... our fields are very flexible and give you lots of options. This is just the way we suggested based on your needs, comments and questions.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds