• Page:

TOPIC: Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None"

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 12 years 1 month ago #17333

• shootfast
  • shootfast's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a bit of a house keeping question. When I create a new field, I always choose the following settings at the end of the Field setup:

Now when I go to an event the settings for this field show up like this:

You can see that the "Used For This Event?" setting shows up pre-checked as "Default". Is there a way to have this pre-checked as "None"?

The problem with the "Default" setting above is that when the .csv export screen is pulled up, all fields with a "Default" setting (whether it is part of that event or not) shows up as a possible field for download. As you can imagine, this can cause mass confusion for an event organizer when they log in to download and see a bunch of fields that are not applicable to their event. Of course, if it is not part of their event, there is no data in that field if they happen to download it, but that is not the point, it just isn't clean.

So what is the workaround? I go into every event and change all fields with "Default" to "None". The issue here is that with 15 or 20 events open for registrations and more coming online all the time, it is a lot of work to go into every event and make changes to all of the new fields.

Is there a way to have the "Used For This Event" show up as "None" instead of "Default"? This would save a lot of time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 12 years 4 weeks ago #17380

• shootfast
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
So no one else has this issue? Maybe I'm doing something wrong when setting up my fields? Is there a way to have the field settings default to "None" instead of "Default"?

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 12 years 4 weeks ago #17389

• dashx
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I agree, for me, the default to "none" would be easier, than a default to "default". It is difficult for me to remember what the "default" is for each field, since it varies.
I wouldn't call it an issue, though; it's the way the program is designed.

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 12 years 4 weeks ago #17395

• shootfast
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
dashx, agreed, it would be much easier to have it default to "none". Why not give us the choice then, we can then choose what we want it to do. We are already given 4 options (one being "none", even though it really isn't "none" it actually means "default") so why not give us a fifth option of an actual "none".

For those of us with many events, 20+, there is probably ZERO chance of us putting in a new field that we would want to activate in ALL forms. And this brings me back to the fact that every new field that is created shows up as a possible downloadable field in the front end (back too) until the "Used for this Event?" field is changed to "None".

An event that asks for First Name, Last Name, Phone Number and Email Address should only have these 4 fields available for download by the organizer. BUT, every field that has been created since this Event was created also shows up as a downloadable field so when the organizer goes to download their information they are often confused with all the options to check, even though they shouldn't be there. This definitely causes confusion for them.

So if I have 30 events running, I create one field for one event, I have to open 30 events and change the "Used for this Event?" field in each of them so that it does not show up in the download area. This is not very efficient :( If the option of "None" was actually NONE in the field creation there would be no issue.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 12 years 2 weeks ago #17469

• knutrichard
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I actually have a more severe problem reegarding this. When I create a new field, at some point it actually starts appearing in all events, even when it's set to NO in show in all events. I have to do the same and go into every event and change the setting to none and not default to correct the error. This is actually becoming such a huge problem that yesterday a field that was created 3 days ago started appearing in an other event,, and we don't know what triggered it. (as I sead, not the first time). The problem yesterday was that the content of the field sead that we didn't have any more hotelrooms left and that they should call another hotell and give a particular code to get rooms there nas you can imagine, this became a MAJOR problem. The fact that this code was set to order rooms on another date than the event itself became a serious issue.

My problem is that I don't know if this is an effect of some field-database error reccurring or some other issue. As the error is random, the use of dtregister a problem for us as of yesterday.

Entered a ticket, but no answer yet from support.

Have Field "Used For This Event" Default to "None" 11 years 9 months ago #17619

• dashx
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
shootfast, what I do now is when an event is finished and I won't need the special fields, I unpublish them. Not efficient, because the events that are still open have all the fields visible as you mentioned.

knutrichard, did your issue become resolved? I had a similar issue, and when I updated to the most recent version at the time, and opened and reset and saved all of the parameters in config, the issue was resolved.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds