6 week class length 14 years 1 month ago #6793

• TFP Webmaster
  • TFP Webmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there!

I think I might be confusing myself...

We have a series of six week classes that occur all year. Currently, the way I set up registration is by creating an event in JEvents with a start date/end date the same.

So, for instance:

JEvents:
Class ABC - starts on Friday, January 1 at 6pm; ends January 1 at 7pm

This event is then ported into DT Register - I set up an event registration, and the class is available for signup.

Since DT Register ignores repeats, I then have to go back into JEvents and set the repeats for six weeks later. This allows the class to show up on the Event Registration Calendar (monthly view) to appear every Friday for six weeks.

However, this causes the class to disappear from registration availability after January 1. I would like the class to be available for registration for six weeks after the start date, as well.

Is there a way to do this? If so, doesn't seem to be very easy...!

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 week class length 14 years 1 month ago #6799

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
You already said it yourself... DT Register ignores repeating events. So why are you going back and trying to make the event repeating again?? Yes it will show in the calendar, but it will not work that way in DT Register. If each class is a separate event that can be registered for, then you'll need to make copies of the event so you have 6 different events that can be copied also in DT Register.

However, if this is ONE event that just happens to have 6 different dates that you meet on, then you'll need to create an event in JEvents that spans that full 6 week time frame. Set that up in DT Register. As you likely do not want it to show one each day of the week in the calendar, I would suggest putting that event into a separate category of JEvents, then creating a regular 6 time repeating event that is ONLY for calendar display. Make your calendar link for JEvents only show the other categories... but do not include the category containing the 6-week long event that was used for registration. You could then manually insert the DT Reg plugin code into your repeating event to give a method of accessing registration still... even though registration is for technically a different event... but the user doesn't see all of that.

That is my suggestion as a work-around.

6 week class length 14 years 1 month ago #6807

• TFP Webmaster
  • TFP Webmaster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks. I totally get it now. I appreciate you laying it out like that for me.

FYI, what I have found is this:

If you have a six week class starting on a particular date: (Jan. 1, let's say), you CAN set up the event in JEvents as usual ---> port to DT Register ---> setup event for registration, etc.

If, after that, you go back into JEvents and set the event up to repeat, with the beginning date/end date the same... (Jan 1 @ 6pm - Jan 1 @ 7pm), you will get multiple day entries in your event registration calendar. This actually works pretty well. The only drawback is that, on January 2, the event will disappear from the active registration list. You will, however, still see the event on the JEvents calendar on the dates for which you set up the repeats.
*This works well for a "six week class" situation in which you don't allow registrants to sign up late. If the first day of the class is the cut-off for registration, then setting it up this way works well. Then, having the multiple day repeats on the JEvents calendar like this basically serves as a reminder to registrants on which days the class occurs, after the active registration ends.

However, if you need the event to stay in active registration status throughout the six weeks, then you should not go back and modify the registration event to repeat in JEvents, as that truly screws everything up. Instead, you would set up the initial event with the beginning date as Jan. 1 @ 6pm and the end date as February 12 @ 7pm. Then, as dthadmin mentioned above, you would have to create a separate, calendar only repeating event in order for each day of the class to show up on your events calendar. This can get pretty tedious if you have a list of classes to update every quarter; therefore, it is a good idea to decide whether it is worth leaving online registration open for the span of the class, or to cut it off as I mentioned above.

In our situation, students get less value out of the class if they sign up late, and we don't allow them to prorate. So, we find that anyone who shows up after the first date of class can simply bring a check or other form of payment in person. Therefore, I think it might be beneficial for us (and less work) to set up our future classes using the first scenario,

Just thought I would share my observations here, in case anyone else was experiencing the same difficulty.

dthadmin - you guys are always so quick in answering my questions; truly appreciate the level of support I've received here. Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds