Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Single event with multiple dates.

Single event with multiple dates. 13 years 3 months ago #11719

• jasonAwA
  • jasonAwA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to setup a singular event that occurs on multiple days. In other words, a participant registers for a singular event that shows on the calendar multiple times or is automatically registered for all events in the series. Also, registration must remain available after the initial session has passed. Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single event with multiple dates. 13 years 3 months ago #11724

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
You can load events on various dates of course, but you can not currently create ONE event that spans random days like that. What people usually do is set the event to span all of the dates, then if users need to make selections of certain dates, that can be provided in selection fields. The only drawback there is that for calendar display to show the random date events, you'd need to create each date as its own separate event.

Here's a thought... bit of a workaround, but this should work.

- create each date as it's own event and put them in Category A (of course, name it as needed). Assign a Joomla article ("Details Article") to each of these events... the same article on each. This will provide the info for your event. These events will be for the purpose of listing in the calendar, not for the actual registration. You would set the "registration open date" on these events to be AFTER each of their dates so registration never opens for the individual dates.
- create another event spanning all of the dates and put it in Category B. This will be the actual event that gets registered for. Also assign this event to the same details article.
- create your calendar menu item to display events from Category A.
- set the calendar configuration to link calendar items to the details article, as opposed to registration.
- install and enable our EventLink plugin. Manually insert the plugin code somewhere on the article and set it to link to the registration event. Then users will follow from the article (starting in the calendar or direct link to the article) and access registration for the overall event.

Hope that helps!

Single event with multiple dates. 13 years 3 months ago #11731

• Cat.Sailor
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Adding this feature would be nice in one of your update. I could use it too.

Single event with multiple dates. 11 years 8 months ago #18648

• sh0rtchica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a question on this, as we have a similar need. I have a class that takes place on two random dates, but there is only one registration/payment needed, and you must attend the first date to attend the second.

My question is, if you create the registration form separately to span all of the dates as above (which for us, would be several weeks), what will the registration form and confirmation show?

Right now, the registration page itself has the class date & time - would it display the entire span? I would think that might confuse people.

I'm wondering if another option would be to create the first date as an event with registration, include in the event details the information about the second date, and create the second date without registration (open date after the class). Then, insert the registration link manually. It seems that would be less work than the proposed solution above, though it still doesn't fix the core issue of having BOTH dates show up under the single class in the event list.

Single event with multiple dates. 11 years 8 months ago #18650

• dthadmin
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
@sh0rtchica - You could disable the display of the date and time on the list view... then just put those details in the event description, formatted however you want, which will display on the list view still.

In your particular setup, you could also create it as two separate events... and set the 2nd one having a prerequisite, being the first date. Be aware that using a prerequisite would cause that event to require a login first. Not sure if that would work or not for you. Just giving you another option to consider.

Single event with multiple dates. 11 years 8 months ago #18651

• sh0rtchica
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! Unfortunately we don't have the log-in feature activated, so the second solution wouldn't work.

On the first - when you say disable the date & time display in the list view, can that be done for just one class? We do have others (all single days) where I would still want that to display.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds