• Page:

TOPIC: Public Events Requiring Login Question

Public Events Requiring Login Question 12 years 6 months ago #15067

• dthadmin
  • dthadmin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
I am adding this sticky forum post as this question comes up a lot in the forum and in support tickets. A quick search would find the answer, but many don't do that, so hopefully this "sticky" post will be easier to find :)

If you have an event that is set as Public, but it still is saying that you must be logged in to register... the solution is the same every time. It's a setup problem... not a bug. Guaranteed.

First, if your login message is the default Joomla login message, this would be because your DT Register menu item is set as Registered or Special. This will affect all of your events as they'll use that ItemID and require a login to access those links.

Second, if your login message is the private event message coming from DT Register...

There are two features that will force events to require login. Both are explained in the tooltips for these features, and also explained further in our video tutorials:

1) Overlapping Event Check - if you enable this in the main configuration area of DT Reg, ALL of your events will require login.

2) Prerequisite Events or Categories - in each event, you can select prerequisite events and/or categories. If you do, the event will then require login. If you accidentally selected something here not knowing what it was, you can de-select using CTRL-Click (or Command-Click on a Mac).

The two parameters in configuration about prerequisites has nothing to do with this. They do not enable/disable the prerequisite feature... they only modify how it is applied.

One of these two HAS to be the reason. I promise. If you read this and say "no, I don't have these checked. It's something else." Sorry, but you would be totally incorrect :) There is absolutely no other reason a public event would require a login. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ResponseIT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Public Events Requiring Login Question 12 years 5 months ago #15554

• zoomlanski
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good answer had this issue.
Thank you

Public Events Requiring Login Question 12 years 3 months ago #15931

• ductape
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
From my recent experience and thanks to the support folks, I came to realize I overlooked a very obvious setting that also forced users to log in.

The event status has to be set to PUBLIC and not PRIVATE. I know, this is painfully obvious but I did overlook it and it will cause users to get the login message, and though it is covered in the original post, it was not one of the 2 reasons. Maybe it was the way it was worded but I did overlook it somehow.

I thought adding this would help anyone else who is as dull as I am today. :D

Public Events Requiring Login Question 12 years 3 months ago #15967

• ngchamber
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
:D Thank you... for pointing that out... that fixed my 'have to be logged in' issue... !!

Public Events Requiring Login Question 11 years 10 months ago #17838

• websquirrel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
To speak of our problem, the fact, that your component is not able to do overlapping check for public events and therefore forces them to be registered, is seriously a weak point that should be bold highlighted in your feature list!

Of course people suppose your component to deal public events as a well as private ones. Public events are usually more important and the default setting out there. So if I read in your feature list, that your component does overlapping check, I surely think, that it can do that for public events. I am sure, that I am not the first and only customer who has that need and point of view.

Public Events Requiring Login Question 11 years 10 months ago #17839

• dthadmin
  • dthadmin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 3
Per your suggestion, we have updated the feature listing to point out the login requirement on these two features. The main purpose of this post though was to reference the prerequisites as 9 times out of 10, when someone runs into this question, it's because they have accidentally selected a prerequisite not even knowing or paying attention to what it really is. :)

We'll certainly consider options to implement the overlapping check for public events in future development.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds